Good morning

More
08 Jul 2011 07:59 #5473 by denhamfly
Good morning was created by denhamfly
I predict greasy hands this weekend for myself!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2011 09:18 #5474 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good morning
I saw on one of the guys signerature , it says.

Right after you get your hands greasy, your nose will start to itch.

Oh .. Good morning all.

We got some thunder, rain and a touch of 3/8 size hail.
Just nice to start the day off cool. It is calling for rain on and off for the next 2 days.
Heading 5 hrs down the highway to the city to pick up Debs granddaughter who will be with us for a month.

I have not worked on the car any more to fine tune it. I see a few drips on the floor which I suspect are the drain plug on the pass side of the block.

Have a great 928 day

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
08 Jul 2011 09:48 #5476 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic Good morning
I have found the timing marks on the cam gear, now I am in the hope and pray mode, because they were off by a lot. This story started when I brought my car to a shop for the water pump and they changed the belt also. The car ran great when I picked it up ,but when I was driving it the next day the timing belt tension light came on and the car would barley run, when I checked out the belt it was really loose. I KNEW BETTER THAN TO GO BACK TO THE SAME SHOP SO I PARKED IT. Now that I have time to work on it, I am hoping things did not get bent. Thanks for ya’ll advice and I might have to ask for more. At the club’s next event if I can make it, I volunteer to donate and cook a big Cajun jambalaya.

More
08 Jul 2011 11:44 #5477 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Good morning
5 HOURS? Like each way? Not that bad a drive in a 928 though and I love to drive. If I can drive something in less than 12 hours I'll do that over flying ANY DAY!

You guys have a GREAT day and Brad, send us some of the rain, we are as dry as we should be in Aug/Sept and it is the first bit of July still...we have been this dry all summer too! Everything is dead, there is hardly anything green left!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
11 Jul 2011 07:25 #5504 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic Good Morning
Degreased my engine this weekend, but did not get to work on timing belt. Waiting for A/C kit to come in on Tuesday and start putting her back together and hope she runs!

More
11 Jul 2011 09:30 #5505 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good Morning
Hey, Hi, Good Morning 928 drivers, owners and fans :D

How was your week end, good I hope?

I got to do a little tuneing but ever since the electromotive update I have had a lot of blue screens.
Uninstalled but it has not fixed it (there must be a bad del in there somewhere)

I lowered the fuel pressure to 55 to fix some rich idle issues,
but I am still running out of fuel at the top end, and have maxed it out.

Waiting all week for Roger to get back to me, as I need some 24lb/hr injectors.

I hope you all have a great 928 week.

Brad

More
12 Jul 2011 00:57 #5516 by 928mac
Well I thought I would share some bad news.

I had this drip of coolant under the car so I thought that I better check it out.

Ahh just as I thought it was the drain plug on the passenger side.
(I could tell by the location of the drip on the floor)

Car up on the ramps and tires blocked I slid under with a 13 mil and tightened it about a 1/4 turn, when it got looser and started to leak worse.

I put the pan under and removed the plug to find that all the threads stayed with the plug.

I don't know why I did not notice this when the engine was out. Must be the Deb's fault, she must have interrupted me when I was installing it.

So now I have to tap it out to the next size with the exhaust in the way.

If I could kick my ass there would not be enough time for the major ass kicking that I would do.

Tomorrow I have to get a 1/4 pipe tap, mine has walked off somewhere.

Life goes on :rolleyes:

More
12 Jul 2011 04:40 #5517 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Good Morning
ugh, that is Murphy's law at work.
Murphy spends quite a bit of time around my house.... :)

More
12 Jul 2011 08:48 #5518 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic Good Morning
At least you know what you have to do to fix it. I hate those problems that you just have to shake your head and hope for direction!

More
12 Jul 2011 13:35 #5522 by spun
Replied by spun on topic Good Morning
Aww man... that does stink. Nothing like taking an easy job and raising the challenge :D

More
12 Jul 2011 15:02 #5524 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic Good Morning
Murphy only shows up at my place after I'm done (so I thought)

More
12 Jul 2011 21:34 #5527 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Good Morning

Hey, Hi, Good Morning 928 drivers, owners and fans :D

How was your week end, good I hope?

I got to do a little tuneing but ever since the electromotive update I have had a lot of blue screens.
Uninstalled but it has not fixed it (there must be a bad del in there somewhere)

I lowered the fuel pressure to 55 to fix some rich idle issues,
but I am still running out of fuel at the top end, and have maxed it out.

Waiting all week for Roger to get back to me, as I need some 24lb/hr injectors.

I hope you all have a great 928 week.

Brad

I refuse to use those block drains for just this reason. My luck, the bolt heads would snap off if I even thought about putting a wrench on them.

More
21 Jul 2011 07:49 #5658 by denhamfly
Finally put my car together yesterday, and it was not good news. I think the valves might be bent. It does not feel like there is much compression. Guess I will bring it to the guy in New Orleans and find out my fate.

More
21 Jul 2011 07:55 #5659 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic Good morning
So sorry to hear this Oscar. Keep us updated on the diagnosis and outcome.

More
21 Jul 2011 09:04 #5662 by 928mac
Oscar, did you verify that at Top Dead Center (TDC) the cam marks are lined up? The reason I ask is because if you have very little timing it will seem unresponcive and lacking power.
If you are not sure then It may be best to get some help?
Isn't there anyone in your area that is close and can help?

More
21 Jul 2011 10:24 #5664 by denhamfly
The only person that, I have had success with is in New Orleans. I am going to bring it to him. The car is not even trying to start and I smell a lot of gas.

More
21 Jul 2011 21:29 #5672 by pcar928fan
Hmmm...that is NOT GOOD. Remember a used engine from 928International will be WAY, WAY cheaper than trying to fix that one! You will need at least $10k to fix the one you have even if almost no valves are bent! I have seen '85/'86 rebuild invoices of over $14k!!!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
21 Jul 2011 21:52 #5676 by 928mac
I know I could fix it for way less so it don't hurt to get a quote. Good luck.

More
22 Jul 2011 23:03 #5690 by pcar928fan
If you are doing the work yourself of course it would be a lot cheaper. Still the parts that you will want to or need to replace in this kind of job add up QUICKLY and will probably eclipse $4k in parts alone!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
23 Jul 2011 00:33 #5691 by spun
Replied by spun on topic Good morning

If you are doing the work yourself of course it would be a lot cheaper. Still the parts that you will want to or need to replace in this kind of job add up QUICKLY and will probably eclipse $4k in parts alone!

I was wondering that... so what would be the cost from a block up to rebuid... I have been thinking about buildig a backup over time to reduce the pain level...

More
23 Jul 2011 05:30 #5693 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Good morning
If you bent valves then usually the shortblock components are not harmed, so you don't have to rebuild but often it is done, since you have the motor apart.

In very rounded numbers, it is probably @$1500 for main bearings, rod bearings and a rebuild gasket set. Of course you may want to do motor mounts at the same time, water pump, timing belt and component refresh, perhaps even refreshing everything under the intake manifold, sop the "opportunities" to spend money are seemingly endless :)

I haven't rebuild heads myself, as I would take them to a automotive machine shop and have them rebuilt including a valve job. The cost of the valves usually isn't that high, since you will have bent perhaps 4, so a big rounded cost for this effort might be $2k.

These are based on you doing all the wrenching yourself, and if done properly would give you a motor that would likely run another 200k-300k miles.

Alternatively, you might pick up a used motor of unknown origin for $1k-$2k, but there is so much labor involved that it is chancy, and shipping a motor isn't cheap either.

If you buy from a vendor, you have more certainty, particularly if the are willing to do a leak down test for you.

Even with a used motor, I would advocate replacing the rod bearings and reviewing the main bearings if it came from a automatic transmission car.

More
23 Jul 2011 13:49 #5694 by pcar928fan
Stan, I think you might be a little light on that rebuild estimate, but suffice to say you have much more experience playing with them than I do!

It is certainly not an impossible job for a reasonably competent mechanically inclined person to do, but you do need a lot of tools and time to do it right. If you have the tools and are not in a hurry and have some money to spend it might be fun. 928 motors are so strong through that you might just have a nice museum piece when you are done and you might have it for a VERY LONG TIME waiting for a good 928 motor to go bad! ;) Of course you could sell it on after some time too... That said, you won't get your money out of it doing so because the word done will always be suspect by the buyer.

If/when I need a new motor I will take my money to all the current 928 specialty vendors and find a good one with them and happily pay to ship it in and have it installed by my mechanic!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
24 Jul 2011 13:59 #5701 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Good morning
Snap a picture of your harmonic balancer and post it here. We will immediately be able to tell you whether it was replaced in a backwards position or not. This error would have thrown your timing off 180 degrees.

More
25 Jul 2011 12:34 #5705 by denhamfly
I just got back to the real world will post a picture thanks!

More
28 Jul 2011 09:01 #5728 by denhamfly
Looks like it is going to be a 928 weekend, hope I can at least get her to act like she wants to start.

More
28 Jul 2011 09:44 #5730 by 928mac
Good morning everyone;
I am hoping that I can find the running issue with mine as well Oscar.

Stan, what are your thoughts on this CBC new post.

[Investors are fearful that U.S. lawmakers might dig in their heels and allow the U.S. to default on its debts as early as next week by not agreeing to extend the nation's debt ceiling beyond its current level of more than $14 trillion.]

I wonder if Trump would have done any better?

Anyone have any thoughts on the situation in the US.

I know 3/4 of our trade is to the states and because of the low USD and the high Loonie that Canada's tourist industry records a 40% drop in Americans visiting Canada

I wish there was an easy fix.

Brad

Oh ya, Have a Great 928 day

More
28 Jul 2011 13:38 #5731 by denhamfly
I love for the people from Canada to visit, even better if they can fix my 928 As a Cajun who knows I might meet some of my relatives.

More
29 Jul 2011 10:52 #5740 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Good morning
As you probably recognize I could say quite a bit on this.

First to understand, is that if the U.S. defaults on its debt it will be by choice. Debt service of @$20b per month with revenues of @$200b per month make it clear that the U.S. can, if it wants to, pay its debt.

The issue is that the U.S. spends @40% more than it takes in. Currently the U.S. is spending @25% of GDP, which is much higher then historically has been shown to be viable. Many studies will show that a government can only effective take in @18% of GDP in taxes before the economy suffers and tax payers change behavior to lower their tax load.

So, the U.S. has a big *spending* problem. Even the watchdogs have stated that simply increasing the debt ceiling is not nearly enough. Raising the debt ceiling is what the standard DC politicians want, but doing so will still result in bigger problems, unless spending is cut.

Basically the U.S. can exercise some fiscal responsibility now, or it will have to in the long run, when there are no buyers of U.S. debt, so funding of all the entitlements has to end. Initially the U.S. is likely to do what other countries have done, simply print money, but invariably that will result in hyper inflation.

There are no easy answers, and most of our federal politicians think they can deceive their way through this, as they have done for so long. In the end there will be a massive correction if not severe spending cuts are not taken now.

Hard assets, and perhaps Canadian dollars are a good idea for insurance.

More
10 Jul 2012 19:21 #9729 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Good Morning
Ok it is not morning....had some honey-do jobs first thing today.

But we just got back from a drive to Chicago last nite....a lot of fun and I do like Chicago quite a bit. Hotter than blue-blazes but finally cooled off and had a great time.

Drove the Tiguan as the Shark is getting the interior re-done. It performed more than admirably I must say. That Turbo 4 is a little demon! And the ride was very nice.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
11 Jul 2012 00:55 #9735 by 928mac
Good evening all

hey Strat man it sounded like fun

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!