Rear hatch lock

• 87 Shark
  • 87 Shark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Jul 2011 19:28 #5397 by 87 Shark
Rear hatch lock was created by 87 Shark
I closed my hatch on friday and it did not latch. As I opened the hatch , the male part of the lock (upper section) housing had broken right off. Apparantly this is a common problem (new to me) as this part is prone to developping hairline cracks in the metal.
A new part lists for 400$ for the alarmed version (150$ without alarm). I am trying my luck with jb weld and hope this will work or I will have to order a new one.
AVOID SLAMMING THE REAR HATCH and check your locks for hairline cracks. Pics to follow. :mad:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2011 19:43 #5398 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Rear hatch lock
The problem is usually the receiver, you may want to check with Jerry on whether he has an option available. He is, or was providing a liner (female) replacement:
reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19183

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Jul 2011 19:51 #5399 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic Rear hatch lock
The receiver liner just replaced. The upper latch broke into 2 peices. The part that contains the nylon latch snapped right off.

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Jul 2011 19:54 #5400 by 87 Shark
Can the non alarmed version be used and just de-activate the alarm from the rear hatch?

More
03 Jul 2011 22:56 #5405 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Rear hatch lock
I don't know Dave if the non alarmed one can be used. I would get on the horn to mark and see if he has a used one.

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Jul 2011 20:26 #5453 by 87 Shark
Well the JB weld did not hold. Will try a different epoxy tonight. Will look for parts later. I spoke to 2 other 928 owners at our monthlyPCA dinner and each have had issue with this upper latch breaking. Check for hairline cracks and gently close the hatch. A search on RL shows this to be a common problem.

More
06 Jul 2011 21:10 #5454 by neilh
Replied by neilh on topic Rear hatch lock
Miss-alignment of the top part, causing it to deflect each time you close the hatch, will cause it to fail. To align it correctly, try this ( its an adjustment procedure, but parts still apply):

Repair Electric Release - The electric release is not hard to repair, but unless things are checked in the proper order it is easy to get caught in an endless loop. There are a lot of rumors on a fix even using pennies but few work. The design on the lock is such that it wears over time and relieves the tension that is necessary to spring the hatch open. There are several things to watch for here.

Shims - Before starting any repairs check both the bottom and top latch for any shims that may have been installed in previous attempts to make repairs. Remove all shims that are not factory installed.

Motor Operation - Open the hatch and activate the automatic release. Look inside the lower latch to make sure that the metal latch operates with the motor.

Spring - The motor on the latch cycles from open and back to close is a short period of time. The spring in the middle section of the latch pushes up on the hatch and forces it open during the cycling of the latch. Check to make sure the spring has tension and is not broken. The spring is located under the round center plastic piece in the lower latch.

Worn Catch - Inspect the plastic moving catch in the upper latch. This part is meant to wear over time saving other expensive parts of the latch. If it is worn it will have to be replaced before things will work reliably.

Latch Release - Remove the upper latch from the hatch. Push it down into the lower latch. Operate the motor to verify that the latch pops out when when the motor cycles. If this does not then the bottom latch is not releasing enough to to clear the top catch. The design of the latch is for the upper catch to operate with the key and the lower catch to operate with the motor. The lower catch operates on an arm in the bottom of the latch. The arm can become disconnected or the bushing in the arm can wear causing the lower catch to be restricted in its travel.

Alignment - If the latch releases when not attached to the hatch then the automatic release is working correctly and the problem is in the alignment of the hatch. If the upper latch binds in the lower latch then the spring will not be strong enough to push up on the hatch during the open cycle and the hatch will remain locked.

More
10 Jul 2011 18:38 #5493 by Glen McCartney
Replied by Glen McCartney on topic Rear hatch lock
The non-alarm hatch lock can be used, I replaced mine with the non-alarm and it works fine. I remember Jim Bailey saying that the locks with the alarm are more prone to breaking than the non-alarm versions.

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Jul 2011 15:08 #5509 by 87 Shark
Thanks Glen and all.Will try various "cheap" fixes until I order the new part.

More
11 Jul 2011 21:08 #5515 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Rear hatch lock
Mine's cracked too Dave. I'm after a replacement before it break ;)

Here's a pic(bit out of focus) I made to show someone else what I was looking for:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Jul 2011 14:58 #5523 by 87 Shark
Mine broke in the exact same spot. Wish I knew then... Will get a new one but trying to fix until then. Every one should check for cracks as this is a common problem.

More
12 Jul 2011 20:53 #5526 by 928mac
Oh come on, where is your good old Alberta know how.

Use a bungee strap :p

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 Jul 2011 19:23 #5548 by 87 Shark
Got one on. Its just embarassing.I have it inside so as not to be seen and it is still embarassing 'cause I know it's there.

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 Jul 2011 20:44 #5549 by 87 Shark
Managed to get the metal to stick together with (I can't believe this) crazy gluethick gel. Seem's to be a strong bond and my fingers are not glued to the inside of my nose. I reinforced the patch with metal duct tape. The hatch opened and closed 3 times with no issues so far but I will keep the bungie cord close by. I did back off the rubber stoppers to make the hatch easier to close. Just a gentle push to latch now. Will drive tomorow and see how it handles the road vibration.

More
14 Jul 2011 01:02 #5551 by 928mac

Got one on. Its just embarassing.I have it inside so as not to be seen and it is still embarassing 'cause I know it's there.

He He He I'm sorry buddy but I would do the same and laugh at my self and expect you to laugh as well.

I hope you find a replacement.
Doesn't mark at 928 intel have a used one?

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Jul 2011 15:41 #5563 by 87 Shark
He may have one. Believe it or not the crazy glue held fine today after a 60km drive. If it holds I'll wait until fall to order as part of my next repair budget . Bungie cords are still in the car just in case :rolleyes:

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!