Button under Dash and more

More
22 Oct 2011 19:46 #6575 by dwarner928
There is a small button under the dash to the right of the instrument panel dimmer switch. I know it's not the trigger for the ejection seat cause Fido would be in orbit now...just wondered what the heck it is.

Also...I'm a total newbie to Porsche and the 928s Euro. I have someplace to ask questions but I need someone to ask questions of. I promise I won't be a pain in the arse...I just don't want to have to learn at shop rate.

If anyone out there can handle a few questions, please contact me via private message and I can call you or I can give you my number. I just bought my car 3 weeks ago and it's been in the shop more than in my driveway due to a water pump failure day after I brought it home...now $4100 later I can finally drive it again...

Thanks in advance for any help...

Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2011 20:16 #6576 by pcar928fan
Water pump failure should not be costing ANYTHING LIKE $4100 to fix... Should be an easy replace the H2O pump and Timing Belt. Never more than $1500 for that. What the hell else did they do?!

The button is for the intensive windshield wash. If you have or get an owners manual for an '80 model it will likely answer every question you have. I have been REALLY busy putting out fires (figuratively, thankfully) the last couple days, otherwise I would have given you a shout! Sorry about that.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
23 Oct 2011 08:28 #6577 by the flying scotsman
where are you Doug? perhaps theres a member close by you could directly talk with :)

More
25 Oct 2011 21:10 #6595 by dwarner928
Well the button under the dash resets the trip odometer. One mystery solved.

I'm in Rochester NY and I have asked Rich Ertinger a couple of questions...specifically about the tensioner rebuild. He has been helpful.

Yea...$4100 was a wake up call? $2000 in labor at $100/hr. The rest in parts. Now I need a clutch. At least I think I need a clutch... maybe at least a throw out bearing...I hear something making a chirping sound in neutral and at low speeds...but the clutch has never been replaced so it's probably due.

Getting prices like $1500 to replace the clutch. That sound about right?

D

More
25 Oct 2011 21:28 #6596 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Button under Dash and more

Yea...$4100 was a wake up call? $2000 in labor at $100/hr. The rest in parts. Now I need a clutch. At least I think I need a clutch... maybe at least a throw out bearing...I hear something making a chirping sound in neutral and at low speeds...but the clutch has never been replaced so it's probably due.

Getting prices like $1500 to replace the clutch. That sound about right?
D

The $4100 sounds really high, but of course without knowing the details we can't know for sure.

The $1500 may be good, again depending on the details. The labor on this is usually not too bad, as it is relatively quick to change.

More
25 Oct 2011 21:44 #6597 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Button under Dash and more
Wow That seems a little high for US wages doesn't it Malcolm. I thought only canadians made $100/hr

It is NY so I guess that is the going price.
I think I paid $30 for my TB from Roger, but I forgot to pay myself.

More
25 Oct 2011 22:22 #6599 by pcar928fan
I agree with Stan... the $1500 might be right but that $4100 seems over the top...though it does depend on what they did.

There is a button on the OTHER SIDE of your steering wheel in roughly the same place as the one you found and IT is for the intensive wash for the windshield...probably does not work! Most of them don't anymore!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!