new situation

More
15 Nov 2011 07:11 #6927 by whcherman
new situation was created by whcherman
I completed my coolant recovery project and the bad ground, car started. I was bleeding the coolant system while the car was idling. Then a complete shut down. I checked the rotor, not turning, removed cover on serpentine belt not turning. What next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2011 07:45 #6928 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic new situation

I completed my coolant recovery project and the bad ground, car started. I was bleeding the coolant system while the car was idling. Then a complete shut down. I checked the rotor, not turning, removed cover on serpentine belt not turning. What next.

Are you saying the timing belt is not turning when you attempt to start the car?
If so, do you hear the motor turning over?
If so, then you need to review the timing belt for a break. Fortunately an '84 is US is not interference, so this is just a maintenance project, albeit a time consuming one.

More
15 Nov 2011 08:50 #6930 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic new situation
Was the water pump replaced when doing the coolant work?

More
15 Nov 2011 09:56 #6931 by whcherman
Replied by whcherman on topic new situation

Are you saying the timing belt is not turning when you attempt to start the car?
If so, do you hear the motor turning over?
If so, then you need to review the timing belt for a break. Fortunately an '84 is US is not interference, so this is just a maintenance project, albeit a time consuming one.

yes the motor was turning over. and yes i know it is a time consuming project I have done it before. but since I am a chemical engineer mechanical things i struggle with. just dont understand the relationship between the distributor and the belt. any advice. i would appreciate still learning, after 15 yrs of trouble free porsche.
James

More
15 Nov 2011 11:57 #6932 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic new situation
Review this and let us know if you think you can follow it.

928oc.org/Heinsma_Dwayne/pdf/1987_Timing...r_Pump_Procedure.pdf

More
15 Nov 2011 12:15 #6933 by whcherman

Review this and let us know if you think you can follow it.

928oc.org/Heinsma_Dwayne/pdf/1987_Timing...r_Pump_Procedure.pdf

mac, that pdf is not willing to open. i will keep trying. but can you explain the relationship between the timming belt and the distributor. most distributors that i have pulled have a gear on the bottom.

More
15 Nov 2011 14:03 #6934 by 928mac

mac, that pdf is not willing to open. i will keep trying. but can you explain the relationship between the timming belt and the distributor. most distributors that i have pulled have a gear on the bottom.

No problem but lets get that PDF fixed first.

Stan can you look into Dwaynes timing belt pdf it dose not seem to open.
I thought that it was my work sycurity but it looks like it could be something more.

Brad

More
15 Nov 2011 14:47 #6935 by the flying scotsman
The rotor turns as the engine turns but as the belt that drives the cams has perhaps broken the top half of the engine is not moving; camshafts and valves are stationary.

More
15 Nov 2011 15:04 #6936 by whcherman

The rotor turns as the engine turns but as the belt that drives the cams has perhaps broken the top half of the engine is not moving; camshafts and valves are stationary.

thank you, that is what i was trying to understand. so when the belt is stationary or broken the distributor will not rotate. is that correct?

More
15 Nov 2011 15:28 #6937 by srshaw3

No problem but lets get that PDF fixed first.

Stan can you look into Dwaynes timing belt pdf it dose not seem to open.
I thought that it was my work sycurity but it looks like it could be something more.

Brad

There is no issue with the pdf, it is very large, so depending on your bandwidth and computer, etc. it could take a while. I just downloaded and viewed it without issue.

More
15 Nov 2011 15:38 #6938 by 928mac

There is no issue with the pdf, it is very large, so depending on your bandwidth and computer, etc. it could take a while. I just downloaded and viewed it without issue.

Stan is it possible due to the size that the browser or network stalls.
I can download others but that one starts but stops around 92k out of the 36meg.

Like I said maybe it is because I am at work.
I am just dubble checking.
Maybe someone else can verify as well, then we will know.

Brad

More
15 Nov 2011 15:43 #6939 by srshaw3

Stan is it possible due to the size that the browser or network stalls.
I can download others but that one starts but stops around 92k out of the 36meg.

Like I said maybe it is because I am at work.
I am just dubble checking.
Maybe someone else can verify as well, then we will know.

Brad

I can only tell you that I am downloading it just like you would, I am on a cable connection at home, my servers are on a fiber connection about 25 miles away. I have now downloaded it twice. It is a 36mb pdf, so quite large.

More
15 Nov 2011 16:41 #6940 by neilh
Replied by neilh on topic new situation
Just downloaded it fine here in Sunny Diego....

More
15 Nov 2011 16:57 #6941 by 928mac
Thanks Neil, it is a network thing at work as I suspected.
whcherman must be having the same issue.

Brad

More
15 Nov 2011 18:24 #6942 by the flying scotsman

thank you, that is what i was trying to understand. so when the belt is stationary or broken the distributor will not rotate. is that correct?

Correct.

I just double checked PET and it seems theres several variations of engines for the model year......can you confirm if the engine is 2 or 4 valve and how many distributors it has?

Brad....the issue is at ur end......dloaded in under 2 mins on a wireless connection but then again Im in the biz :)

More
15 Nov 2011 19:03 #6944 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic new situation
Malcolm,

His car is an '84 US so it will have a single dist and be 4.7L in displacement and be a non-interference engine...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
15 Nov 2011 19:15 #6945 by the flying scotsman
ok....if thats confirmed the disti is gear driven from where?

if the camshaft, then theres still the probability that the cam belt has broke.

More
15 Nov 2011 19:26 #6946 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic new situation

ok....if thats confirmed the disti is gear driven from where?

if the camshaft, then theres still the probability that the cam belt has broke.

Yes, the distributor is is gear driven by the 5-8 camshaft on a US 83-84 model 928S. As others have already stated, you have a 16 valve, 4.7L non interference engine. No bent valves. There is a peep hole on each timing belt cover beneath the long black plastic tubular intake plumbing. With the engine in the start position you should see the belt and sprockets revolving. If the belt is broken then all you are likely to see are the sprockets.

More
15 Nov 2011 22:04 #6952 by 928mac
So I guess just line up the gears with a new belt and she should be good to go

More
15 Nov 2011 22:35 #6953 by the flying scotsman
'just line up the gears'.......you crack me up :D

that be the crank @ TDC #1, 1-4 camshaft on mark, around the water pump, 5-8 camshaft on mark, oil pump then set the tensioner to spec using proper tool. Have a good look at you marks, all good? spin the engine clockwise twice and recheck, all good? then spin the crank twice more and recheck....all good?

More
16 Nov 2011 00:24 #6955 by 928mac

'just line up the gears'.......you crack me up :D

that be the crank @ TDC #1, 1-4 camshaft on mark, around the water pump, 5-8 camshaft on mark, oil pump then set the tensioner to spec using proper tool. Have a good look at you marks, all good? spin the engine clockwise twice and recheck, all good? then spin the crank twice more and recheck....all good?

Ya what he said, sorry I'm a mechanic and did all mine by feel, including cam timing. my bad :rolleyes:

I would suggest following the link to Dwaynes step by step and call us when you have a question.

More
16 Nov 2011 08:43 #6956 by whcherman
I will order the parts today, including the water pump. And I will have a great thanksgiving putting it all together. But I will line all the marks and set at crank at td0. And I finally got that file to open, wrong engine for me. Mine is much simpler. what happend to devek, that is where i bought the last belt and pump from?

More
16 Nov 2011 08:50 #6957 by srshaw3

I will order the parts today, including the water pump. And I will have a great thanksgiving putting it all together. But I will line all the marks and set at crank at td0. And I finally got that file to open, wrong engine for me. Mine is much simpler. what happend to devek, that is where i bought the last belt and pump from?

Devek has been out of the business for perhaps 5 years now...
An process for a 16v motor can be found at members.rennlist.com/blueshark/page14.html

928 vendors that offer such parts (in reverse alpha order for a change)
928srus.com
928intl.com
928gt.com

More
20 Nov 2011 18:21 #7026 by Doug_B_928
Replied by Doug_B_928 on topic new situation

I finally got that file to open, wrong engine for me. Mine is much simpler

Search Rennlist.com for my write-up for the 16V procedure: "16V OB Timing Belt and Water Pump procedure with pics"

More
20 Nov 2011 19:25 #7027 by srshaw3

Search Rennlist.com for my write-up for the 16V procedure: "16V OB Timing Belt and Water Pump procedure with pics"

Do you want to provide your write-up for inclusion on our technical library?

More
20 Nov 2011 21:43 #7034 by Doug_B_928

Do you want to provide your write-up for inclusion on our technical library?

I'd be happy to have it included in the 928OC technical library. You can either download the pdf from Rennlist or I can e-mail it to you if you prefer.

More
20 Nov 2011 21:56 #7037 by srshaw3

I'd be happy to have it included in the 928OC technical library. You can either download the pdf from Rennlist or I can e-mail it to you if you prefer.

I'd rather not have to search for it, if you have a direct link that would help. Or you can email to me.

More
20 Nov 2011 23:15 #7041 by Doug_B_928

I'd rather not have to search for it, if you have a direct link that would help. Or you can email to me.

Stan, I tried to e-mail it to you through this system but don't see how to add an attachment. For some reason Rennlist doesn't let me copy the link, it only gives me rennlist.com. So, I think the easiest thing is if you copy and paste the text from my previous post into the search bar on rennlist.com and it will come right up. Just click on the link at the end of the first post and it will start the pdf download from the rennlist server.

More
20 Nov 2011 23:25 #7042 by srshaw3

Stan, I tried to e-mail it to you through this system but don't see how to add an attachment. For some reason Rennlist doesn't let me copy the link, it only gives me rennlist.com. So, I think the easiest thing is if you copy and paste the text from my previous post into the search bar on rennlist.com and it will come right up. Just click on the link at the end of the first post and it will start the pdf download from the rennlist server.

Not sure what post that would be.
My email address is the same as my ID, you can just enter it in your email software and attach the file there ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ).

More
20 Nov 2011 23:56 #7043 by Doug_B_928

Not sure what post that would be.
My email address is the same as my ID, you can just enter it in your email software and attach the file there ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ).

The Rennlist thread title is in post #24 in this thread. In an case, I'm e-mailing it to you as an attachment right now.

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2011 18:15 #7079 by adminVB
Replied by adminVB on topic new situation

The Rennlist thread title is in post #24 in this thread. In an case, I'm e-mailing it to you as an attachment right now.

This has now been added to the Technical Library forum. Thank you so much Doug :D

More
22 Nov 2011 19:33 #7081 by 928mac
Yes what an awesome job you did.
I think he lied and has done this a time or two before.

Brad

More
22 Nov 2011 19:41 #7082 by Doug_B_928

Yes what an awesome job you did.
I think he lied and has done this a time or two before.

Brad

Nope first time. Roger will confirm. He's the one that really talked me into doing it. He talked about the feeling of accomplishment one has when they finish it. Having now lived it, I know what he meant. I spent much of my summer studying the various resources, figuring out what tools I'd need, buying them, etc. Sure am glad I did it; a really fun job.

More
24 Nov 2011 12:53 #7105 by 928mac
You can rip that off in an afternoon if your not trying to take pictures at the same time ha ha

More
24 Nov 2011 12:55 #7106 by Doug_B_928

You can rip that off in an afternoon if your not trying to take pictures at the same time ha ha

After the first time..... no problem.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!