× Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

My Newish 88 ROW S4

• LummoxPG
  • LummoxPG's Avatar Topic Author
More
18 Nov 2014 01:56 #17759 by LummoxPG
My Newish 88 ROW S4 was created by LummoxPG
Hi All...new to the club. After years of vacillation, trepidation, indecision, and searching I took the plunge and purchased what I have always dreamed of owning a Porsche 928. As I live in northern British Columbia 928's and Porsches in general are hard to come across and finding one usually requires a ten hour drive south to Vancouver. Where you are then faced with either chancing it by driving an unproven vehicle back or flat bedding it home for 3 grand. I eventually found a black on black 88 s4 here in Prince George with 134,000 kilometres on it. It had been here for 6 days and I snapped it up after quick test drive. The car is an ROW built for sale in Germany and has made it's way to Canada via the United Arab Emirates I believe...the Arabic on the CE cover tipped me off. Since purchasing it in April I have replaced the radiator with a copper and brass replica I had made in Vancouver, the master brake cylinder, the fuel pump, every filter and fluid possible, as well as the spark plugs, fuses, and front brake pads. Also I ordered a new Jager shift knob from 928 International. This coming spring I will tackle the timing belt, cam belts and water pump...because I know I should. I'll post more later...but for now here are some pics

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2014 18:40 #17767 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic My Newish 88 ROW S4
Hey Welcome aboard!

That actually looks really nice inside and in the bay from the pics. Is the interior original? How about the dash? Look like you are well on your way. Most of the members are 32v (after 83) owners so I am sure they can help with issues or questions related to those models.

Keep us posted with updates and pics...!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

• LummoxPG
More
19 Nov 2014 19:02 #17769 by LummoxPG
Replied by LummoxPG on topic My Newish 88 ROW S4
Thanks mm928, it is the original interior, although the dash has two age ravines in it...but the seats although quite dry were in good shape and have now received about 6 treatments with leather conditioner. It was kinda funny because when I dragged my reluctant yet supportive wife down to take test drive number two with me the interior was filthy, covered in cardboard matting, and reeking of cheap cologne. I never popped the hood for her until after I'd bought it so her first impression was of a dirty car with a cracked dash, dried out leather seats ,no shift knob, with the temp gauge creeping toward the upper third. But the said, her obvious disdain helped me to talk the PO down a fair bit in price....so in the end not a bad thing and at least the engine and running gear were well looked after.

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

More
10 Dec 2014 20:57 #17802 by dlbass93
Replied by dlbass93 on topic My Newish 88 ROW S4
Looks like you have got one beautiful example.
Welcome to the club!

2015 Red/Black Honda NC700X
2015 Brownstone Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71
2006 Black BMW F650gs
1998 Ascotgruen Metallic BMW 318i - LS Swap Project
1988 Grand Prix White Porsche 928 S4 - Almost There
1967 Marina Blue Chevrolet Camaro - Project
1957 White Chevrolet 4400 Flatbed - Project

More
11 Dec 2014 08:02 #17804 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic My Newish 88 ROW S4
Very nice - it cleaned up well. Very similar to my black/black '88, albeit sports seats and a euro.

You didn't mention the fuel lines. It looks like the front one running under the oil filler at least is original. While they should all be checked and ideally replaced, that one is one of the two most likely to give problems and is easy to get to (the other is under the air filter housing). It tends to rub on the oil filler (see 928oc.org/forum/928-oc-member-car-profil...rtin-s-1990-s4#15863 for pics on my '90; the '88 was much worse). You can get a new, OE one from Roger, for a reasonable price and it will be a little longer to better clear the filler. Some of the other fuel lines are not available in OE form.

You do know that Jager is in BC? ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LummoxPG

• LummoxPG
More
13 Dec 2014 01:44 #17805 by LummoxPG
Thanks Martin...good call on the fuel line...as you may have guessed I have no real idea how old that line is...it looks good but I think that I will opt for the ounce of prevention plan and just order a new one...any idea as to the part number...any tricks to replacing it ...it looks straight forward,,, but I've thought that before. Also...no I had no idea that Jager was available in BC, which is odd because I did a fairly exhaustive search for a replacement shifter knob and didn't have any luck with an in country order...other than Porsche...and well there is no way that I am paying 650 for a piece of plastic wrapped in thin leather, particularly as I like the top shift button better. I did however have some luck locating and ordering the sacred plastic insert for my lower trunk/ hatch receiver...46 cdn after shipping ...something I've been after for some time...maybe the trunk will even pop after it's been installed although I would settle for incessant rattle to subside. Further, I broke down and ordered the 15mm rear spacers from 928 Motorsports...for no other reason than there's room and cuz I wanted them.

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

More
13 Dec 2014 07:42 - 18 Dec 2014 07:21 #17806 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic My Newish 88 ROW S4

Thanks Martin...good call on the fuel line...as you may have guessed I have no real idea how old that line is...it looks good but I think that I will opt for the ounce of prevention plan and just order a new one...any idea as to the part number...any tricks to replacing it ...it looks straight forward,,, but I've thought that before. Also...no I had no idea that Jager was available in BC, which is odd because I did a fairly exhaustive search for a replacement shifter knob and didn't have any luck with an in country order...other than Porsche...and well there is no way that I am paying 650 for a piece of plastic wrapped in thin leather, particularly as I like the top shift button better. I did however have some luck locating and ordering the sacred plastic insert for my lower trunk/ hatch receiver...46 cdn after shipping ...something I've been after for some time...maybe the trunk will even pop after it's been installed although I would settle for incessant rattle to subside. Further, I broke down and ordered the 15mm rear spacers from 928 Motorsports...for no other reason than there's room and cuz I wanted them.

Jager's site: www.jageng.com/garage9/ - address: Jager Engineering Ltd., Sproat Lake, B.C. V9Y 9C5, Canada

The hatch insert will make a huge difference - it was missing on my '90.There are at least three aftermarket suppliers with some different colours. My first I bought thru eBay and the second thru Roger. See his always incomplete and dated website. I think he just keeps it as a 'right of passage' thing so that serious people learn to phone ;) s287999742.e-shop.info/shop/page/1?sessi...yLFPRFY1&shop_param=

Adjusting the four hatch rubber bumpers may also be necessary to quiet it, and in the case of my '90, I found the lock bolts were loose. Others have noted that the hatch seal can make a difference if the old one is hardened with age. You can pretty much make the hatch silent when everything is right - unlike the hatch in a a 944 which I never got quiet when I had one.

For quickly finding part numbers I use the AutoAtlanta site. They have reproduced much of the Porsche catalogue (PET). For the hoses see: www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardpa...87-91§ion=107-15 The one you want is: www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardpa...87-91§ion=107-15 BUT, phone Roger and just tell him what you need. Many of the other hoses are no longer available from Porsche and there are a number of aftermarket options that have engendered great debate regarding their relative merit and expense.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2014 07:21 by martinss.

• LummoxPG
More
17 Dec 2014 23:26 #17825 by LummoxPG
Well thanks again Martin...that gararge9 site makes me want to run up the cc...lol...great site though

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

• LummoxPG
More
29 Dec 2014 22:04 #17874 by LummoxPG
Oh blessed day...plastic trunk insert installed. Ok... so the trunk did not open with the key after first I installed the insert, but after borrowing my wife's metal nail file and slightly shaving down the 3 ribs on the aft of the insert...BAM...turn the key and the trunk pops. And to top it off after some fiddling with what can only be described as a pain in the *** trunk motor set up I was able to get the trunk motor release operational. Great success!

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!